Twice a year, your HVAC unit changes its whole routine. So before summer and winter, you should take special care to ensure your HVAC unit runs smoothly through its “Big Seasons”. Here are the steps to prepare your HVAC system and home for winter.
Change Your Air Filter
If you haven’t changed your air filters in the last 30 days, ensure they are replaced and ready for the heat that they will be circulating.
Re-program Your Thermostat
If you have a programmable thermostat, you probably still have it set for summer temperatures. It might be great when it’s hot outside, but it may not yet be set to deliver the comfortable warmth you need for the winter months.
Take a look at your thermostat and be sure to program it for the upcoming season. If you don’t yet have a programmable thermostat for your home, now might be the perfect time to install one. One-in-eight homes already use programmable thermostats because it can save you 10% on energy costs. That’s nothing to sneeze at, particularly with the current costs of your utility bills.
Prepare Your HVAC Unit for Winter Weather
Clean your HVAC unit to help your unit last longer with greater efficiency. Check for gaps and leaks to lower your energy bill and keep your home warm and toasty as winter arrives. Here are a few tips!
- Move furniture, decor, and other items at least 18″ away from vents and returns.
- Move cleaning products or flammable items far away from vents.
- Dust and clean your vents, registers, and exhaust flu.
- Check your ductwork and windows for leaks or gaps. Then, use metal tape to seal your ductwork. Finally, caulk your windows to prevent leaks.
- Clear trash, leaves, and branches from around your HVAC unit outside. Also, ensure your fan blades are clear of debris so they can rotate freely.
- Cut back or remove plants that are too close to your unit or growing on your HVAC unit.
- Check fasteners as you inspect both indoor and outdoor parts of your HVAC system, make sure screws and fasteners are tight and none are missing. A loose screw can generate noise and even cause damage to your HVAC unit.
Also, schedule an HVAC maintenance check with our team of technicians. You should schedule these HVAC maintenance checks at least twice a year. It’s a great way to catch issues before they become big inconveniences.
Reach Out to A&R Mechanical for Winter Preparedness
At A&R Mechanical, we offer a comprehensive maintenance service program with essential reminders for maintenance. Family-owned and operated, we are ready and reliable no matter your need. We keep your home comfortable through unpredictable winter weather and seasonal changes. Our mission is to keep your family and pets safe and comfortable year-round. Contact our team at A&R Mechanical.